Saturday, October 1, 2011

Best mode of travel for a claustrophobic

Best mode of travel for a claustrophobic?
I have to go to Louisville, KY for a job and can either drive, fly, or take the train. I've only flown once and can't remember the one train ride I took years ago. I'm a single 20ish female traveling alone. The plane ride scares me to go by myself, but it's a little under a 2 hour flight nonstop. The train ride is 12 hours plus a 2-3 hour layover at 1 AM in Cincinnati's train depot, followed by a early morning Greyhound ride to Louisville (2 hours). Or driving about 9 hours but I have come to hate long and spindy bridges. Any feedback on train layout and safety, bridges from NC to KY, or how to overcome flight anxiety would be helpful. Thanks!
Other - United States - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I have a co-worker who is scared to fly. I think her doctor may have given her a prescription of something that makes her relax and fall asleep. Maybe there is an OTC at your local pharmacy??? Anyway, I personally would go for the short air flight... just get it over with. Did you know that air travel is actually safer than traveling by car or train? At least that's what I heard... but it actually does make sense when you think about it.
2 :
Flying will be the fastest and best trip. Take a Motion sickness pill (or two) right before you board the plane and you should sleep the whole trip. Otherwise, you could take a couple of Benadryl tablets and they will make you sleepy on the flight.
3 :
I don't like to fly either, but if it was me, I'd just take the plane and get it over with. It's not that long a flight. I like to drive, but it takes too long. The train is definitely out.
4 :
Is it the actual flying that gets you or the being in a very narrow aluminum tube that gets you ?If it's the tube there may be fly and drive solution that is do-able. I'm a bit claustrophobic myself and the problem is compounded by the fact that I'm a tall big person .Despite the fact that I love flying ,there are certain aircraft that i try to avoid because of my claustrophobia. Anything that begins with CR ,ER, DH ,and any of the MD8 series for starters . The problem is that that's just about everything that flies into Louisville or Cincinnati The solution is a bigger aircraft into Chicago -ORD -not MDW and a 300 mile drive to Lousville * Find a B-757 going LGA -ORD and enjoy the ride Door to door is probably 10 hours but sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do * The correct routing is :I-294>I-80E >I-65S not the I-90/94 E[ Kennedy/Dan Ryan ] >I-65S combination - that takes you thru downtown Chcago
5 :
I've ridden Amtrak before - a train co - and it was the BEST experience yet. The seats are huge - I'm 6ft and i could stretch my legs out in front of me and still not touch the back of the seat in front of me. and i was riding coach. the seats are wide too. sometimes there are dining cars. you can get up and walk around and the ceilings are not low.

Search News